Sunday 20 February 2011

Bad Case of the Moonies

When I started sculpting with fimo it was in the usual over excited manner I begin every project: running around frantically gathering supplies, telling everyone I know about this brand new brilliant thing I've discovered and then dive-bombing into the deep end. I love the deep end of the pool, I spend hours there. I used to think I was an otter when I was younger. Wait is this literal or metaphorical?...

Anyway I start everything fast. Usually if something isn't meant to be it'll get dropped within a few months. Like the owl hats and quilts ; I don't sew much anymore. Sculpting though... Now that's the future.

If only I could get rid of these stupid moonies.



These are moonies. This is a bad case of the moonies. This made me kick my oven and storm around my flat in a foul mood for half a day. This was a perfectly baked sculpt going in for it's third go when my oven decided to have one of its hissy fits and cranked itself up to 200C.

The temperature knob span off a few months ago and our landlords keep saying they've fixed it. We have an oven thermometer but I'm not going to crouch in front of the oven for half an hour just to make sure it doesn't suddenly jump to 200C. (Actually I am contemplating that now - cup of tea and some sewing, it'd be like watching telly.) I'm sick of not being able to eat roast chicken, I'm tired of being unable to heat pies, but most of all I'm furious it gives my carefully sculpted creatures moonies.

Moonies happen when polymer clay is exposed to extreme temperature change (as far as I'm aware) and sometimes when there are air bubbles under the clay. Considering my cat had been baked twice already and come out moonie-free, I'm putting it down to heat...

I'm hoping that sanding them down a bit and then painting with acrylic washes (which I was planning anyway) will hide them well enough. BUT SCULPTORS BE WARNED! There be nothing as terrifyin' to a man as the dreaded moonie....

Okay enough about that. This week I sold another doll! Hooray!



The goat is going to the Netherlands.

I also finished another doll whom I love and want to keep. He is the gorgeous fluffy Vindur, the moon gazing gryphon...



He's based on a harpy eagle and a lamb, more eagle than lamb though. You can go to his Etsy listing for more pictures and also if you feel inclined to give him a new home!

My next doll is going to be the opening picture, a commission from a BJD maker in France. Here's the sketch I'm going by, she asked for an eastern dragon crossed with a cornish rex cat, with purple, girly pink and grass green colourings.



The WIP picture is that poor moonied doll you saw above. I have sewn the fur and plan to dye it some more tomorrow evening and maybe paint it too, then glue on the feathers and extra bits on Tuesday. Can't wait. After that I'm going to start another doll. I bought a variety pack from Lakeland Fly-tying and HOBOY it's so awesome, got some really beeeaaauuuutiful feathers. And despite Vindurs wings being quite small I used two whole saddles to make them - so I reckon this pack will go fast...

Okay off to bed now, over and out comrades!

If you have a custom doll request or question then don't hesitate to contact me.
maddington.bear at gmail.com

No comments: