Thursday 17 March 2011

Coming Soon...

17/03/2011

A lot of things in the pipeline right now: commissions; a website; folio reviews...

The most exciting news is that my insurance agreed to replace everything that had been stolen.
  1. Wacom Intuos4 Medium
  2. Nikon D5000
  3. iPod nano, 6th gen
  4. Sennheiser headphones
  5. Panasonic Lumix camera
  6. Nintendo DSi


Considering these are all upgrades (I had a D40, an I3, a 3rd gen nano and a GBA) I am really doing a jig. I also got a cheque for my Diana Lomo camera and I should be getting a cheque for my handbag as well. And my excess was only £25! The policy only cost £45 at the beginning of the year as well so I paid £65 to have nearly £2000 worth of stuff replaced. Woohoo! That should be arriving within the next hour - you have no idea how excited I am!

Since the last post I finished a doll and three commissions, Luca, one I haven't mentioned yet and the magpie. I'm really sorry I didn't post any progress pictures but I was panicking about time and having my stuff stolen really threw me off balance. Here are a couple of pics to tide you over until I announce the new website which has loads of progress and final photos on it - It might even have videos!




Both have been posted.

In addition to Luca and the gryphon I made a little doll when I was hungover while watching the Antiques Roadshow as a sort of time kill. He went down a storm with DA and also sold within three hours of being put in my Etsy!



I called him Porphyrios because my classmate suggested it.

The third commission was one I got through Etsy. She said she liked hummingbirds, wolves and snow leopards so I came up with something quite butch then decided it was too butch and did something alittle more graceful, which she loved so we went with it. I called him Biscuit because that's what he told me to call him - honest.



I absolutely LOVED making his wings and working with those beautiful feathers - they are french partridge and come in a huge variety of colours. I will buy some more and experiment.

So What Happens Next

Well I have more commissions, my slots are all filled! As you know I have the kirin doll to do, who has been baked and is patiently waiting for the art shop to order in yellow fabric dye. Then I have a lammergeier gryphon called Ozzyfrage to make and a blue dragon called Galidor. Galidor's owner asked me to make him roughly the same size as Luca, which I said would cost more, but she was adamant.





There was another person on the list but they asked to be dropped to the end of the list so they could decide whether or not they really want a commission. If she does she'd like a grey and black gryphon.

Galidor and Ozzyfrage both came just after I changed my commission prices. That's right, they went up. The amount of time and effort I spent on Luca made me realise that I should be charging more for these. I spend more time working on them than my uni project, so the prices have gone up to:

£50 for a doll without wings
£70 for a doll with wings


The reasons are because I felt what I was charging before wasn't covering the materials I was buying. The feathers and fur really are high quality and the change in price reflects whether or not the quality will stay constant. Also as I mentioned before, I spend a lot of time on these. There's love in them!

Things Other Than Dolls

Oh there's not much of that... :]

Okay so the next post will be proudly announcing my website!! I'm so excited!

xx

Mads

No comments: